As my profile says I live in Lebanon a beautiful country on the Mediterranean Sea. If you check its history, you will notice that it was mostly and for many years, been an occupied country.
Many say that our origins are Phoenicians, well that is partially true. Now after being occupied as part of the Ottoman Empire for 400 years and even during that time Lebanon wasn't an actual country. Later being mandate by the French who dedicated 10452 km^2, to an independent state called "greater Lebanon". The French occupation (mandate) lasted 26 years.
After that we had total stability in our country for the coming years, then Lebanon was labeled as the Switzerland of the East, till the consecutive wars which plagued the lands starting from 1975.
Yet we claim that we are Phoenicians?! Through the Ottoman Empire we gained the Turkish traits, traditions, daily life, culture, and cross breed with them etc. They taught us what we now called habel babel, basically a new way to smoke various types of tobacco. Oh did I mention that along with the Turks came the Kurd who became Lebanese citizens fast enough to reach the government.
You might think i forgot the Armenians......no I didn't. Being kicked out of Turkey actually they were butchered and raped. Again they blended in the Lebanese community being citizens too but maintaining their own language and having some support from Europe.
Till now, you think there is a pure Phoenician race?
To conclude, I have a list of 6 sentences that describe the Lebanese Society:
1. We own any Consumer Electronic then it should be implied that we know everything about ICT.
2. 18 different sects is something special!!!! Well you can find even more sects and races in USA, UK and Sweden for example.
3. Collectively bound by what others think about us.
4. The collective consciousness chooses what we eat, drink, wear and even play.
5. We are open minded yet we must know the religion, birth place...etc. Of someone we want to befriend.
6. Global Rule: A man creates and designs a car. In Lebanon it becomes: A car creates and designs a man.